British certification and tax relief
The certification unit is the first point of contact for applicants wanting to qualify their film, high-end television programme or animation programme as British and to access the UK’s creative sector tax reliefs.
Based at the BFI, 21 Stephen Street, the unit offers advice on qualification under the creative sector cultural tests, the UK’s bi-lateral co-production agreements and the European Convention on Cinematographic Co-production.
Our activities include:
- Assessing applications for British film, high-end television programmes and animation programmes under the UK’s cultural tests.
- Assessing applications for British film certification under one of the UK’s nine bi-lateral co-production agreements or under the European Convention.
- Assessing applications for British high-end television and animation certification under one of the UK’s six bi-lateral co-production agreements which allow television co-production.
- Assessing applications for EC Certificates of British Nationality for film and television.
- Offering one-to-one guidance to applicants on how to qualify under the cultural tests and co-production agreements.
- Seminars and presentations on the qualification and application process.
- Liaising with officials in Her Majesty’s Government and key industry stakeholders to maintain a pro-active and reliable service.
- Guidance on British films, high-end television and animation tax relief.
Films can qualify as British in one of three ways. They must meet the requirements of one of the following:
- One of the UK’s official bilateral co-production treaties.
- The European Convention on Cinematographic Co-production.
- The cultural test.
High-end television and animation can qualify as British in one of two ways. They must meet the requirements of one of the following:
- One of the UK’s six official bi-lateral co-production treaties .
- The cultural tests.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the certification unit as early as possible to discuss their applications. The unit is happy to meet applicants at any stage of development and work with them on their applications. For further details on the cultural tests or to discuss a particular project please telephone Anna Mansi, Head of Certification, on +44 (0)20 7173 3214 or email email@example.com.