Diversity is one of the BFI’s priorities. We aim to help the UK film industry build a more diverse workforce both behind and in front of the camera. We want to help enable all groups within our society to participate in and enjoy film culture as audiences and learners and also help to ensure that equality and diversity commitments are fully integrated into every aspect of all core BFI activities.
Our objective is to help build a more diverse and inclusive workforce and film culture. In order to help achieve this we will help to:
- Nurture a diverse range of UK film talent
- Integrate equality and diversity commitments into all BFI activities and monitor their impact
- Provide practical tools and information to encourage our partners and the industry more generally to promote diversity
- Support initiatives designed to give people from minority ethnic groups, people with disabilities and women equal opportunities to get into and succeed in the UK film industry
Responsibility for equality and diversity is shared across the Board, Executive and staff of the BFI as well as with organisations that supported by the BFI. Over the coming months we will develop our Diversity strategy with partners across the UK and launch a new £0.2m Diversity fund which will help provide.
- A business culture and ways of working that support equality of opportunity and diversity in the film sector
- Support for practical initiatives to help the sector to raise its game on diversity issues
- Equality and diversity – proofing BFI funding criteria and application processes
- Support for initiatives aimed at creating clear and accessible paths for entry into and progression in the UK film sector
- Support for activities that actively champions and celebrates the diversity of film, filmmakers and audiences for film in the UK
Applications for the Diversity fund will be open in 2013