Our aim is to champion a breadth of bold and distinctive filmmaking across the UK; to nurture new talent; and to back the development, production and distribution of films that will enrich UK film culture and define the UK and its storytellers in the 21st century.
We welcome applications for film projects in all genres, and we are committed to promoting diversity in the filmmakers we support, the stories they tell and the audiences they reach.
We also support independent UK distributors to help ensure that the best British and specialised films connect with a wide range of audiences across a range of platforms. We support sales companies that are launching new UK films at key international film festivals and markets.
On these pages you will find information regarding all our activities and how to apply for funding.
We provide funding for:
- Feature film production, including international co-production and completion funding
- Feature film development, principally script development
- Talent development (including funding for short films) via the BFI NET.WORK
- Feature documentaries
- Production company slate development, via the Vision Awards
- Digital and cross-media activity
- Distribution of feature films in the UK
- International sales of UK feature films and other film export activities
Applications can be made to the Film Fund at any time, and you should expect to receive an initial response from us within six to eight weeks.
FAQ and getting in touch
A word on feedback
We make every effort to ensure that our application process is fair and as transparent as possible. Sadly, given the volume of applications we receive, we are not able to provide feedback on projects that we have decided not to progress.